Happy New Year!!!
It occurred to me today that every New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day people (including me) make resolutions. It is similar to the act of buying gifts for our significant others on Valentine’s Day. We do these things because we feel like we are supposed to – it is the expected thing to do. Another holiday created by Hallmark! Friends inquire, “What are your New Year’s Resolutions?” Does anyone really keep them? I dare say that most do not. When we are doing something out of expectation or obligation, we are not invested.
Today is my birthday. I am 28!!! Wink. Wink. As I began to reflect on the past year, I made note of milestones, accomplishments, and things I wish to improve on. It was a great year. I could not think of a single failure! Failure insinuates that I am done! I am very much a work in progress.
Birthdays are the days for New Year’s Resolutions! Birthdays signify the number of years that we have lived (hopefully fully) and the one ahead. We own them. They are ours. Birthdays are not group projects. They are all about us!
From this day forward, my New Year’s Resolutions will be made on my birthday. When we share our goals/resolutions, it creates instant accountability. Nothing like a friend messaging you asking, “So Cynthia, how is _____________coming along?” No one feels good about making excuses!
So here are my New Year’s Resolutions! Friends feel free to hold me to them ☺
1) I will make a more conscious effort to connect with my family, friends, and all of those that I love, care about and respect outside of social media. I will strive to be a better friend. #realconnections
2) I will clean out my thought closet! I will replace negative with positive. I will be kinder to me. I am a child of God!
3) I will peek out of my shell a little more often and stick my neck out a bit further.
4) I will care less about what people say and think and more about what I think! Even more than that, I will live the next year with the classic “WWJD?” in the forefront of my mind.
5) I will dance with my husband even if people are watching as soon as he learns Ed Sheeran’s dance moves in the “Thinking Out Loud” video. Okay scratch that! That means I would have to learn to dance like her and well…you know!!! We will just dance.
6) I will continue to improve me, to become a better version of me each day. Mind. Body. Soul. #keto-on #gymrat #liftmore #writemore #lovemore
7) Continue my search for the perfect bottle of wine!
8) To let go UNAPOLOGETICALLY of “things” even if that means people that cost me my peace.
9) To post less about Chloe and Mojo. Are you kidding me??? Just seeing if you were paying attention. #lovemyfurkids
10) I will not water me down. 100 proof.
11) I will worry less and praise more.
12) I will be remember how blessed that I am. I will not forget that there are people who drink dirty water everyday. My heart is breaking over this.
13) WRITE. JUST WRITE even if no one reads it!
14) I will not allow my worth to be determined by anyone else’s lack of ability to see it!
15) I will continue to wake up everyday with the thought, “What can I do to make Fairfield smile today?” I love being his wife.
Until Next Time,